- Cut off the stems an inch every two days. This will keep the end of the stem open to draw water upwards.
- Fill a clean vase with warm water and replace water every two days.
- Add a 1/2 teaspoon each of bleach, sugar and white vingear into the water to extend flower life and reduce algae build up.
- Keep flowers away from direct sunlight. Ideally keep them in the coldest spot in the house and when guests come over put them in a pride of place.
- Keep flowers away from heaters and appliances giving off heat.
- Don’t place ethylene producing fruit, such as bananas, apples and kiwi fruit, with or next to your flowers. Ethylene accelerates aging.
- Don’t use vodka, aspirin or pennies like some websites suggest, this can damage the water’s health.
- Remove the lower branch leaves from the stem that would sit below the water line to prevent them fouling in the water.
- Pick flowers that have not opened their blooms fully, this will give you a day or two of extra viewing.
Caramelised pork meatballs and noodle salad, traditional Vietnamese cuisine from the streets of Hanoi. …