We have all been told to drink lots of fluids to stay hydrated during the summer months, but drinking litres of water every day can get a little boring and fizzy drinks adds to your calorie count quickly…what to do? Here are some ingredients from the garden to add some zing to your water.
Herbs, fruit and spices to flavour water
• Citrus – Lemon, lime, lemongrass and orange. Ideal to balance the pH in your body and aid digestion. Remove the rind. Squeeze juice into water and add the rest of the flesh.
• Berries – Strawberries, raspberries, etc. Dice up berries and add to water.
• Fruit – Apple, watermelon, pineapple, etc. Dice fruit and add to water.
• Herbs – Mint and lemongrass.
• Spices – Cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg. Crush spices and place them in a tea strainer. Pour boiling water over spices to release the flavours, then add cold water, refrigerate.
• Spice mix up – Try different combinations of fruit, spices and herbs. eg. ginger/apple, apple/cinnamon, berries/citrus, mint/watermelon…
Methods for infusing water
- Ice cubes – Lightly crush ingredients, mix with water and freeze. Add frozen cubes to water when needed.
- Slice ingredients and add to your water bottle. At room temperature the flavours will take a few hours to release.
Note: Consume water within 24 hours or 48 hours if refrigerated.